Celebrates the best of British
Indulge in British food! Seek out in-season fruits and vegetables, quality British meat and some of our country's fabulous cheeses and dairy produce when you are out shopping and use these to create delicious meals at home. What about trying some of our most traditional dishes, such as Shepherd's Pie or Apple Crumble, and giving them a modern twist?!
If you have children, consider involving them in the preparation of the meal - British Food Fortnight is a great opportunity to teach them a few cooking skills as well as an appreciation of the pleasures and health benefits of eating good food.
There are lots of recipe ideas for you to try. Follow the Recipe menu options to find the one that tempts you most!
Recipe from World Cancer Research Fund: www.wcrf-uk.org
- 1 medium aubergine, sliced
- 1 small courgette, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices wholemeal bread (to make breadcrumbs)
- 3 tbsp low at cheddar, grated
- Half teaspoon paprika
- 1 tsp oregano, dried (you can also use fresh if you have it) Ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180/350/Gas mark 4.
- In a saucepan, gently fry the onion in the olive until softened and brown.
- Add garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano and pepper to taste and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- In a baking dish, layer the aubergine and courgette, cover with tomato sauce and repeat twice.
- Mix breadcrumbs, cheese and paprika in a bowl and place on top of the final layer
- Cook covered in the oven for 45 minutes
- Remove cover and back for a further 15 minutes to brown
- Serve with warm crusty wholemeal bread.
Calories per serving: 250
Fat per serving: 10g
The Official Partners of
Love British Food
To advertise here ....
To advertise on this website please email us: click here