Strawberry, goats cheese, watercress and walnut salad
With British Food Fortnight fast approaching, British Corner Shop are getting busy in the kitchen to produce 'The Great British Cookbook' eBook for free download in August!
With a focus on British dishes and delicious seasonal produce, they will be bringing out a recipe book full of fun recipes that are simple, yet tasty. Be sure to download the eBook when it is launched so you can try your hand at creating some lovely British dishes to celebrate British Food Fortnight!
British Corner Shop have created a lovely light salad, perfect to eat in the heat of summer: A strawberry, goats cheese, watercress and walnut salad. This is just a taste of what's to come in The Great British Cookbook!
This is a great salad to combine some of the best new produce that's filling up the greengrocers as we mark the beginning of summer.
It's not that common to come across strawberries in salads, but we don't believe they should be completely left to desserts! Our salad is packed full of unusual flavours that you may not think to combine, but they really compliment each other and make for a perfect side to a BBQ meal. The bitter and peppery flavour of watercress gives the goats cheese a cleaner and sharper edge, and don't worry if you don't have time to spice your walnuts - you can just toast them instead.
- 300g broad beans in their pods
- 1 x bunch of watercress
- 400g strawberries
- 150g goats cheese
- 100g walnuts
- 1 tbspn icing sugar
- 2 x baby gem lettuces
- 1 x lemon, juiced
- 1 tspn honey
- 3 tbspn olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 150 c.
- Coat the walnuts in the icing sugar and add a tablespoon of water. Place onto a baking sheet and into the oven for 15 minutes until golden. Leave to cool.
- De-pod the broad beans, quarter the strawberries, the baby gems and crumble the goats cheese.
- To make the dressing; mix the honey, lemon juice and olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Place it all into a large bowl and sprinkle on the toasted walnuts. Dress the salad and serve immediately!