Strawberry and ricotta pancakes
Recipe from delicious. magazine - http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/strawberry-and-ricotta-pancakes-2/
- 450g strawberries, hulled
- 100g caster sugar
- Few fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked, plus extra to serve
- 5 large free-range eggs, separated
- 350g ricotta
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 200ml whole milk
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- Vegetable oil to grease
- Clotted cream to serve (optional)
- Cut 75g of the strawberries into small pieces and set aside in a bowl. Put another 150g of the berries in a pan with 75g of the sugar, a good splash of water and the thyme. Simmer over a low heat until the strawberries have broken down, then push them through a sieve, collecting the syrup in a bowl and discarding the pulp. Quarter the remaining strawberries.
- Beat the egg yolks, ricotta, melted butter and milk together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt, lemon zest and remaining sugar. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the ricotta mixture and mix gradually until smooth. Add the chopped strawberries. In a separate, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then carefully fold into the batter. Set aside.
- Grease a non-stick pan with a very small amount of oil (see tip) and set over a medium heat. When hot, drop large spoonfuls of the batter into the pan. Cook for a minute or so on each side until puffed up and golden, turning carefully with a spatula. Keep the pancakes warm (see tip) and continue until all the batter is used up.
- Serve with the reserved quartered strawberries and the strawberry syrup. Scatter with thyme leaves and dollop with clotted cream if you like.