Spring Chicken Pie
Recipe from Co-op Food Magazine
- 2 tbsp Co-op unsalted butter, plus 1 tsp extra
- 350g pack Co-op British leeks, halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp Co-op plain flour
- 6 Co-op British chicken breast fillets
- 600ml hot chicken stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 750g Co-op Jersey Royals, sliced
- 3 tbsp Co-op reduced fat creme fraiche
- Handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas 6. Melt the 2tbsp butter in a large pan over a low heat. Stir in the leek and thyme, then cover and cook for 10 mins, until softened.
- Stir through the flour, add the chicken and pour over the stock. Cover and simmer for 20 mins, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and simmer the potatoes for 5 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Remove the chicken and chop. Bring the stock to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until reduced. Stir in the creme fraiche, most of the parsley and the chopped chicken.
- Tip into an ovenproof dish. Arrange the potato slices on top and dot over the extra butter. Bake for 25 mins, until the sauce is bubbling and the potatoes are golden. Serve scattered with the rest of the parsley.
- To freeze: Assemble in the ovenproof dish and leave to cool completely. Wrap well in cling film and foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Either defrost overnight and bake at 200C/Fan 180C/Gas 6 for 40-45 mins or bake from frozen for 1 hour 15 mins until hot through. Cover with foil if the pie browns too much while baking.