Recipe supplied by the Goring Hotel, London.
- 500g lean lamb mince
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 50g peas
- 50g carrots, diced to pea size and cooked
- 2 lge Maris Piper potatoes
- ½ litre lamb sauce
- 1 dspn tomato puree
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Double cream (optional)
- 2 egg yolks (optional)
- Sweat the chopped onion in a little vegetable oil until soft, but with no colour, add the lamb mince and keep it moving until all the mince has browned.
- Stir in the tomato puree and simmer for a further 5 minutes then turn out into a colander to drain off the excess fat.
- Put the mince into a fresh pan, add the lamb sauce and simmer for approximately 50 minutes, or until the mince is tender. Finish with salt, pepper and a splash of Worcestershire sauce to taste.
- Cook the Maris Pipers, drain and puree, finish with a little double cream and 2 egg yolks, salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked diced carrot and pea's to the lamb mince, put into an ovenproof or earthenware dish, cover with the mashed potato and bake in a medium oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the potato has glazed.