Sea Trout with Wasabi Peas
In honour of the MasterChef 2015 final tonight, this recipe is for the more adventurous of you out there who are bursting to try some of the fancy gadgets you see on the programme!
It has kindly been supplied by our friends at Stone Food & Drink Festival and chef Matt Davies who you can see demonstrating at the show.
Matt is the Group Executive Chef with The Lewis Partnership. Having held a strong 2 rosettes for culinary excellence for the past 17 years, Matt oversees the exceptional standards at the Lewis Partnership’s highly regarded eateries. A Michelin listed chef, he was nominated the British Culinary Federation’s Louis Cippolla Chef of the Year in 2011 and has a string of awards under his belt. A National Food Champion, Matt is Chairman of the Staffordshire Chefs’ Forum, Chair of Judges for the Young Chef of the Year Staffordshire competition and is the serving Vice Chairman British Culinary Federation. Having cooked on TV no less than 3 times with the Hairy Bikers, Matt is no stranger to the limelight and his demonstrations at the Stone Food and Drink Festival always attracts capacity crowds!
You may wonder about the use of wasabi, but there is now a British producer of this potent plant. Visit The Wasabi Company, England, for more information.
- For the Sea Trout: 1xsea trout
- 1kg of salt & 1kg sugar
- zest of 1 lime, 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 5 star anise, grated
- For the Wasabi Peas: 2 cups of peas
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp wasabi paste
- 1 tbsp rice wine vineger
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp of mustard powder & garlic powder
- rock salt
- For the Pea Puree: 500g pureed peas
- 1 tbsp wasabi paste
- 4 leaves of geletine
- 250 creme fraiche
- salt & pepper
- To plate: 150g white crab meat seasoned with lemon & lime juice, creme fraiche, cayenne pepper & chopped corriander
- kuzu crackers (optional)
- corriander & cress to garnish
- To marinade the sea trout, mix together all the ingredients. Cover two sides shinned & pinned seat trout. Ensure any blood is removed from the under side. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes and then wash thoroughly under cold water. Pat the fish dry. Transfer to a sous vide bag, add a little oil and cook at 45°C for 40 minutes and then chill in ice water.
- For the wasabi peas, set the dehydrator, remove the tray and cover with oil. Transfer the peas mixed with the oil, rock salt, garlic powder and mustard powder. Leave in the dehydrator until the peas are dried out. In a bowl, mix the wasabi paste, vinegar, water and cornflour. Once the peas are dried, mix with the paste then transfer back to the dehydrator until the peas are completely dried out. Keep in a sealed container once ready.
- Warm the puree and wasabi paste. Check the seasoning. Add the softened geletine once chilled. Whisk in the creme fraiche. Season again and allow to set. Soften with extra creme fraiche if needed.
- To plate you will need to cut the trout to 4oz portions. Pie the peas and wasabi mousse around the dish with small amounts of the crab meat. Garnish with pea, coriander, cress and top with the Kuzu cracker.