Pheasant breast with apples and crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pheasant breasts
- 1 small English Royal Gala apple, peeled, cored and cut into 12 wedges
- 100ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Put the oil in a small heavy-based frying pan over a high heat. Season the pheasant breasts well and place in the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until just cooked through and nicely browned. Set aside on a plate to rest for 5 minutes, covering with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place the apple wedges in the pan and cook for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Add the chicken stock and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce reduces by about two thirds and the apple is tender. (Add a splash of cider to the sauce for a more complex flavour.) Turn the heat right down then stir in the crème fraiche and parsley. Season to taste.
- Cut the pheasant breasts into 4 diagonal slices and return to the pan, with any juices, to warm through. Serve with stewed red cabbage.