Pear and walnut chutney
This wonderful jam recipe has been supplied by Love British Food Ambassador Jenny Daswon, who is founder and CEO of Rubies in the Rubble.
… utterly delicious with a cheese and ham board...
- 1.5kg chopped, firm pears
- 1 x orange (juice and zest)
- 3 x large chopped onions
- 2 x garlic cloves crushed
- 30g fresh grated ginger
- 200g sultanas
- 100g chopped walnuts (roasted in the oven)
- 700ml white wine vinegar
- 400g molasses sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch of salt
- Simmer the onions, spices, sultanas, salt and vinegar in a pan for 15 mins.
- Add the sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the pear, increase the heat until you reach a gentle boil, reduce the heat and cook until the pear is soft and a thick consistency is reached – around 2hrs, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Finally stir in the walnuts before jarring. Spoon into hot, clean jars, seal and label.
- Once cooled, its best stored in dark cool room.
- Tip for sterilizing jam jars: put them in the dishwasher on a hot wash or clean well in hot soapy water and dry in a warm oven.
- Go on, have a dollop!… utterly delicious with a cheese and ham board.