Pan Roast Halibut, Confit Artichokes, Pickled Grape, Almond, Fennel Broth
This recipe is from our ambassador Ruth Hansom, one of the UK's leading young head chefs at Pomona's in Notting Hill.
- 170g halibut portion
- Jerusalem artichokes
- Fennel broth
- Green oil
- Pickled grape
- Prep the halibut and portion into 170g pieces. Save any trim for goujons. Season and seal the halibut in oil on the side removed from the bone, turn over, add 10g butter, 10g water and a sprig of rosemary. Cook in oven for around 5 mins at 180C. Baste.
- Peel and slice 1kg artichokes to 1cm thick. Vac pack with 100ml rapeseed oil, 10g salt and 1 sprig of thyme. Steam for around 20 mins or until just soft. Chill. To serve, cook in foaming butter.
- Chop and sweat 1 large fennel, 1 white onion, 1 stick celery, 10g ginger, 1 stick of lemon grass and 1 red chilli. Add 3 star anise and 10 cardamom pods. When soft, add 200ml white wine and reduce, add 500ml chicken stock and reduce. Add 1 litre of double cream and leave to infuse for half and hour. Pass and adjust accordingly - white balsamic, lemon juice, salt, sugar, butter.
- Pick one bunch of chervil and one bunch of parsley. Place in the blender with 800ml of rapeseed oil. Blend at 60c for 5 mins. Pass through muslin in a bowl of ice.
- Boil 100ml white wine vinegar, 100ml water and 100g sugar. Pour over 200g sliced red grapes and chill.