Lamb Steak with Kale Caesar Salad and Asparagus Risotto
This delicious recipe has been provided by our Partner, British Corner Shop, who is the number one online supermarket for British expats, travellers and others who simply appreciate British products.
There are two things we really love about it. The first being that there are three recipes in one! The second, that Brits abroad (and at home for that matter!) can easily enjoy this dish too, by ordering the ingredients online at www.britishcornershop.co.uk
It was developed by British Corner Shop resident chef, Alex Mcclane, who has been cooking with Kale for a while and is pretty happy to see this versatile vegetable surge in popularity over the last year or so - you can really do just about anything with it! As the sunshine begins again in Europe and the UK, it's time to whip out the BBQ and do some outdoor cooking. These recipes make a delicious Spring-time feast and it's pretty easy.
Alex said, "April and May herald months of change in our kitchen! And it's warmly welcomed. As much as we love beetroot and all the winter root vegetables, the likes of asparagus, purple sprouting broccoli and fresh greens is what we crave after a long winter!"
- For the Asparagus Risotto: bunch of asparagus
- 50g butter
- 1 leek, washed and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 200g risotto arborio rice
- 1 glass of white wine & 800ml veg stock
- 1tsp fresh thyme or oregano leaves
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 50g parmesan
- For the Lamb: 4 x lamb steaks
- handful of thyme and rosemary tied together (bouquet garni)
- 30g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 20g fresh mint, finely chopped
- zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- For the Kale Caesar Salad: 2 bunches of kale, washed, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- caesar dressing
- old bread for croutons
- handful of toasted almonds or walnuts
- sea salt and pepper (needed for all elements of the dish)
- Start with the risotto. Heat the butter in a pan over a medium heat and soften the leek for 8 minutes, stirring every now and again. Add the garlic and herbs and fry for 30 seconds, add the risotto rice and stir to mix. After a minute, add the wine and keep stirring until it has cooked into the rice. Pour in most of the veg stock broth, bring to the boil then turn down to a gentle simmer and leave to cook for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the Asparagus by removing the woody ends and cut them at angles into 3. Check the risotto, it should be tender but still have a little bite. If it doesn't, add a little more veg stock and cook for a couple more minutes. Remove from the heat, add the asparagus, lemon juice and grated Parmesan and gently fold, the residual heat will gently cook the asparagus. Season and taste.
- For the lamb, remove the lamb steaks from the fridge and allow them to come to room temperature (an hour or so) to improve the cooking consistency. Heat a heavy based frying pan (or BBQ!). Generously season both sides of the steaks and use the bouquet garni to douse the meat with olive oil.
- Fry the steaks for 3 minutes on each side (for medium rare) and continue to brush the steaks whilst cooking. Remove and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes. In the meantime make up the mint and parsley oil garnish by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl. Serve each steak with a drizzle and enjoy.
- To make the Kale Caesar Salad, pre-heat the oven to 180C. Lightly dress the Kale with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place into a roasting dish and into the oven for 3-5 minutes, remove and leave to cool Toast off your croutons and nuts and add to the Kale. Hold off on the Caesar dressing until you are ready to eat, and thoroughly mix.