Jalapeno Macaroni Cheese
British veg and cheese make this classic comfort food shine. Recipe courtesy of Co-op Food Magazine
Ready in 20 mins
- 120g macaroni
- 50g Co-op British cauliflower
- 40g Co-op British purple sprouting broccoli, halved
- 25g Co-op unsalted butter
- 1tbsp Co-op plain flour
- 300ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 50g Co-op Irresistible Somerset Vintage Cheddar, grated
- 6 Co-op British piccolo tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp jalapenos, chopped
- Pinch paprika
- Cook the macaroni to the pack instructions, adding the veg to the pan for the last 2 mins of cooking.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and add the flour, stirring for 2 mins, until thick. Gradually whisk in the milk, and continue to simmer until you have a creamy white sauce.
- Stir in the mustard and half the grated cheese, then season to taste. Add the pasta, veg and tomatoes to the pan and stir together.
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the jalapenos, the rest of the cheese and the paprika.
- Cook under a hot grill for 6-8 mins, until the cheese is bubbling and golden.