Hot Cross Bun, Chocolate and Rum Pudding
This recipe is from our ambassador and food writer and presenter Lotte Duncan
Let’s think fluffy bunnies, chocolate eggs, baby chicks and Easter. If a pudding could draw a naughty line, this one would triple jump it!
- butter, for greasing
- 6 hot cross buns, halved
- 5 tablespoons, chocolate hazelnut spread
- 12 ready-to-eat pitted prunes, halved
- 275ml/10fl oz double cream
- 275ml/10fl oz semi-skimmed milk
- 150g/5oz 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- single cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan oven 160C fan oven/gas mark 4. Aga 4/3-door - middle of banking oven. Aga 2-door Grid shelf on floor of roasting oven with cold plain shelf on second runners
- Grease a 1.7 litre/3 pint ovenproof dish with the butter.
- Spread each side of the hot cross buns with the hazelnut and chocolate spread and then place 4 prune halves inside each bun. Sandwich the buns back together and then cut each bun into four and place in the bottom of the ovenproof dish.
- Heat the cream, milk and the chocolate together in a small non-stick saucepan over a gently heat, stirring all the time. Take care not to bring the mixture to the boil. Cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together in a large mixing bowl and add the rum. Pour the chocolate cream over the egg mixture and stir well.
- Now pour the chocolate mixture over the buns and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the pudding is firm in the middle. If it starts to catch on top, cover with a little foil.
- Serve with single cream - heaven!