Herb-Coated Lamb with Crushed Baby Roast Potatoes
Roast lamb is my family’s favourite Sunday lunch and we reserve a rack of lamb for high days and holidays, such as this Easter weekend. This recipe is as impressive as it is easy to put together, and looks fantastic at the centre of the table – ready for hungry mouths to dig in!
Recipe and photograph taken from Liz Earle Wellbeing magazine. Visit www.lizearlewellbeing.com for more delicious recipes using the best of British seasonal food.
- FOR THE MAIN DISH
- 750g Baby New Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Squashed with a Knife
- 1/2 Small Bunch Thyme
- 2 Rosemary Sprigs, Leaves Stripped
- 2 Racks of Lamb
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- FOR THE HERB COATING
- 1 tbsp English Mustard
- Large Bunch of Mint, Finely Chopped
- Small Bunch Flat Leaf Parsley, Finely Chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, Finely Chopped
- 1 Lemon, Zest
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling, salted water for 8 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well and tip into a large roasting tin. Lightly crush the potatoes with a masher then drizzle over the rapeseed oil, and throw in the garlic cloves, thyme and rosemary leaves and plenty of seasoning. Roast for 45 minutes-1 hour, or until the potatoes are crisp on the outside and soft in the centre.
- When the potatoes have been roasting for 35 minutes, rub the lamb all over with olive oil and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and brown the lamb all over for about 5 minutes. Transfer the lamb to a roasting tray and roast for about 15-25 minutes, depending on how pink you like your meat.
- Remove the meat from the oven, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Brush the outside of the lamb with mustard, and mix the herbs, garlic and zest together in a bowl before patting onto the lamb. Serve any excess herbs on the side with your crunchy roast potatoes and your choice of vegetable.
- Wellbeing wisdom
• Lamb is a good meat to choose for global environmental sustainability
• It’s important for us to all be aiming to buy pasture-fed, organic lamb when we can
• Studies show that pasture-fed lamb is significantly higher in omega-3 fatty acids
Meet our Ambassadors
Ed Ford is an arable farmer from near Brentwood in Essex. He is Chairman of Council of the Nat...
Richard Bower lives and breathes agriculture. Chair of the NFU Next Generation Policy Fo...
Well known throughout the food and farming industry, former chairman of the national federatio...
Lucy Williamson BVM&S DVM MSc. Registered Nutritionist, ANutr, Nutritionist for Love Briti...
Olivier was born into a food loving family. With the celebrated chef, Raymond Blanc as his fat...
Minette is the new President of the National Farmers Union and has long been a huge supporter ...
Jane Peyton is an award-winning beer sommelier, drinks educator, writer, broadcaster, pub expe...
Phil Howard is a Michelin-star chef and owner of Elystan Street Restaurant in London.
Born in North London, Candice grew up in the pubs that her parents ran – and that she famously...
Since winning MasterChef in 2016, Jane has taken the bull by the food horns and tested herself...
Lotte is a skilled and highly experienced broadcaster. Recognised as a leading authority on En...
The Crabstock Boys
Crabstock® is about teaching people about the health benefits of eating Great British shellfis...
Alberto Crisci, MBE
Alberto (Al) left school at 17 and went to Merton College for two years to train as a chef, ga...
Matt Sworder opened his first restaurant, The Corner House, in Minster in 2013, at the age of ...
Cyrus Todiwala OBE DL
Cyrus Todiwala’s is a chef, author, educationist and entrepreneur. He is Co-Patron of Café...
Simon has been cooking professionally since his school days and is one of the UK’s most decora...
After a TV production company first stumbled across green grocer, Chris Bavin in 2011 ...
Dynamic and exceptionally talented, Ruth is a trailblazer in the UK hospitality industry with ...
Alex Hollywood is a passionate home cook and family food writer with two popular cookery books...
Liz Earle MBE
Liz Earle MBE is known for her passion for wellbeing, natural health and beauty, as we...
Raymond Blanc OBE
Born in Besançon, France, in 1949, Raymond Blanc OBE is acknowledged as one of the finest chef...