Fillet of Halibut, herb crust, roasted cauliflower, clam & samphire butter sauce
This recipe is courtesy of our partners Whiting & Hammond - www.whitingandhammond.co.uk
- Herb Crust: 4 slices of white bread (crust off)
- 15g of chives
- 25g parsley
- 10g dill
- 100g dry breadcrumbs
- 20ml vegetable oil
- 80ml melted butter
- Roast cauliflower & Roast cauliflower puree: 2 head cauliflower, core removed, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500ml milk
- 500ml water
- Clam & samphire butter sauce: 2 shallots finely diced
- 200g-250g clams, submerged in cold water for 20 minutes to release salt and sand
- 40g samphire, washed and trimmed
- 500ml white wine
- 30ml double cream
- 175g unsalted butter
- 30g tomato concasse
- 10g chopped Chives
- 6 x 170g fillets of Halibut
- Herb crust: Place the herbs in a food processor and blitz for 1 minute, then add the fresh bread and blitz again until a crumb is formed. Add the dry breadcrumbs blitz again for 2 minutes, then slowly add the vegetable oil and melted butter. Remove, place between two sheets of baking paper and roll out to the thickness of 50p. Place in fridge for a minimum of an hour to set. Once set cut into same size squares as the fillets of halibut.
- Roast cauliflower & roast cauliflower puree: On a sheet tray, spread 1/2 the florets with the oil, season with salt and bake on 200C until caramelised, about 25 minutes, set aside a few florets for garnish. Meanwhile, combine remaining cauliflower, milk and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover, and cook until cauliflower is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Strain cauliflower from milk mixture, reserving both. Transfer the cauliflower to a blender. Add half of the reserved milk liquid. Secure top on blender and puree mixture until smooth. If mixture is too thick, thin by adding some of the remaining liquid. Season, to taste.
- Clam & butter sauce: Rinse the clams with fresh water and drain .
Put some oil into a large saucepan and gently sweat the chopped shallots, being careful not to burn them. Add clams and the white wine to same pan. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook over a high heat until they begin to open, shaking the pan and giving them an occasional stir. Add the samphire, cream, tomato concasse & chives. Slowly add the butter to the pan and keep stirring until all the butter has emulsified. Season to taste.
- Halibut: Season both sides of the fish and place on a buttered grilling tray. Put under a pre-heated grill for approx 3 minutes then turn over and grill for another 3 minutes once the fish starts to easily flake with a fork. Place a square of the pre-cut herb crust on top and grill for a further 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- To assemble the dish: Add the caramelised cauliflower purée to the plate with some of the caramelised florets then place the herb crusted fillet with the butter sauce dressing over the side of the fish and around the plate.