Egg & Bacon Pie
This recipe has been provided by a long-time Love British Food supporter, Hallmark Care Homes and who are very active participants in British Food Fortnight.
Adele Rouget, who is the Head Chef at Admiral Court, says this recipe is one of the residents favourite dishes at the Home!
- For the pastry:
- 450g plain flour
- 125g butter
- 125g lard
- For the filling:
- 3tbsp oil
- 6 rasher smoked bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 7-8 eggs
- salt & pepper
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and lard then rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add water and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough briefly then wrap in cling film and chill while preparing the filling.
- Sweat the bacon and onions using the oil, drain and allow to cool.
- Using the pastry line a 10inch/25cm flan ring, keeping enough pastry back for the top of the pie. Cover the bottom of the pastry case with the bacon mix, spreading evenly.
- Break the eggs on top of the bacon spacing them out to allow for a yolk in each slice. Tilt the tin slightly to allow the egg whites to spread around the whole of the pastry base. Season with black pepper and a little salt, herbs of your choice can also be added at this point if you wish.
- Dampen the edges of the flan and top with the remaining pastry, Press down and remove excess pastry.
Brush with egg wash, make a small hole in the middle and bake for 40-45 minutes at 180c/ gas 4. Allow to cool before cutting.