Cuttlefish with Watermelon and Lime
This recipe was supplied to Love British Food by Sea's The Day. Find out more about them on their Facebook page.
- 1 whole Selsey cuttlefish (ask the fishmonger to clean and remove the ink sack)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- watermelon - cut into rectangles
- lime - cut in half
- 10 mixed ripe Nutbourne tomatoes
- feta, cubed or crumbled
- extra virgin olive oil
- lime or lemon
- red chilli, finely diced
- 50g toasted almonds
- coriander leaves
- First prepare the cuttlefish. Remove the ink sack, middle bone and innards. Slice the ‘sock’ down one side so it sits flat. Remove the outer membrane.
- With a sharp knife, run long, hatched lines across the flesh. Then slice lengthways into 2-3cm strips. Aim for 3 per portion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat your BBQ or griddle pan. Drizzle the watermelon and lime with olive oil and char in the pan until warm right through and the edges are caramelised.
- Lay the the cuttlefish strips onto the grill or pan, cross side down. Try to keep it flat as it cooks. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
Chop the tomatoes, lightly toss with the feta and dress with a splash of oil and a squeeze of lime or lemon.
- To serve sprinkle with the chilli, almonds, coriander leaves, salt and pepper to taste and a flash of olive oil.