Cider Mac' and Cheese with Leeks
Recipe from Wyke Farms
Time to prepare: 1 hour
- 350g Macaroni or other tubular pasta
- 1 tblspn vegetable oil
- 1 leek, washed and diced
- 50g butter
- 35g plain flour
- 200ml Thatchers Vintage Cider
- 400ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 250g Wyke Farms Extra Mature Cheddar, grated (save half for the topping)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs
- Few springs of thyme
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Cook the macaroni in a pan of boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until just cooked. Drain and place into an oven proof dish.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the leeks for 2-4 minutes until soft. Add the butter and stir until melted before adding the flour.
- Keep stirring until the mixture starts to bubble and then slowly add the cider followed by the milk.
- The mixture will start to thicken, so keep stirring until you have a smooth sauce. Add the mustard and half the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and stir together well. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and then the breadcrumbs and thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbling and serve with a green salad.