Chocolate beetroot cake
You may think this sounds strange, but it works amazingly well.
Recipe from Tastes of Lincolnshire.
- 75g/3oz cocoa powder
- 175g/6oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 250g/8oz caster sugar
- 250g cooked beetroot
- 3 large eggs
- 200ml corn oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 line a 20cm (8in) round or square cake tin. Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a bowl. Mix in the sugar, and set these dry ingredients aside.
- Purée the beetroot in a food processor.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and oil, and whizz until it is smooth. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the beetroot mixture and mix it all lightly. Pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean (cover with a loose sheet of foil if it starts to brown at about 30 minutes).
- This cake will not rise a great deal, and the top will crack. After removing from the oven, leave it for 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan. Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar before serving. Or you could make a chocolate or orange butter cream for the top.