Butter Pudding with Spiced Apple Compote
A great way of using up the best of the British Apple Season - whether you make in the Autumn with fresh apples, or make with stewed apples throughout the winter. A refreshing twist on a British classic. www.seasonedcourses.com
- 2-3 apples depending on size, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsps sugar (optional)
- 20 slices (about 11/2 loaves) of fruit bread
- 50g of butter to butter the bread
- 2 eggs
- 350ml of milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- Custard/cream to serve
- First make the spiced apple compote. Add the apples to the pan, along with the sugar if using the cinnamon. Cook down until apple is soft. Pour this compote on the bottom of the dish.
- Spread each piece of bread with butter and cut in half so you have triangles. Lay these in two rows on top of the compote alternating between the buttered bread and a thin slice of apple.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar in a bowl then pour over the bread in the dish.
- Let this soak for 30 minutes while you let the oven warm to 180C (fan) 200C
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins until the custard is set.