Beetroot, Pearled Spelt & Goat's Cheese Salad
Cooking in the evening is the perfect opportunity to experiment with exciting new ingredients, and pearled spelt is a great place to start. An ancient grain and a very healthy alternative to rice, it has a wonderful nutty taste and is a good source of fibre, B vitamins and protein. Served here with antioxidant-rich beetroot and deliciously creamy goat’s cheese, it is a great way to give your mid-week meals a nutritious wholegrain twist.
Recipe and photograph taken from Liz Earle Wellbeing magazine. Visit www.lizearlewellbeing.com for more delicious recipes using the best of British seasonal food
- 400g Beetroot, scrubbed and chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, skin on
- Small bunch of thyme, leaves only
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1tsp Rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 125g Cooked organic pearled spelt
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 75g Soft rindless goat's cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/gas mark 6. Put the beetroot, garlic and thyme in a roasting tin, pour over the lemon juice and roast for 45 minutes. Cover the beets after 25 minutes with foil, and continue to cook until tender.
- In a bowl, make the dressing by mixing the oil, vinegar and mustard with some seasoning. Remove the garlic from the roasting tin and squeeze the flesh into the dressing ingredients, stir to combine, then pour over the pearled spelt.
- Fold through the cooked beetroot and chopped parsley, divide between bowls and dot over the goat’s cheese before serving.
- Wellbeing wisdom
• Pearled spelt is an excellent source of dietary fibre, helping keep our digestive system healthy and regular.
• Beetroot is rich in skin-saving antioxidants
Meet our Ambassadors
Ed Ford is an arable farmer from near Brentwood in Essex. He is Chairman of Council of the Nat...
Richard Bower lives and breathes agriculture. Chair of the NFU Next Generation Policy Fo...
Well known throughout the food and farming industry, former chairman of the national federatio...
Lucy Williamson BVM&S DVM MSc. Registered Nutritionist, ANutr, Nutritionist for Love Briti...
Olivier was born into a food loving family. With the celebrated chef, Raymond Blanc as his fat...
Minette is the new President of the National Farmers Union and has long been a huge supporter ...
Phil Howard is a Michelin-star chef and owner of Elystan Street Restaurant in London.
Born in North London, Candice grew up in the pubs that her parents ran – and that she famously...
Lotte is a skilled and highly experienced broadcaster. Recognised as a leading authority on En...
Alberto Crisci, MBE
Alberto (Al) left school at 17 and went to Merton College for two years to train as a chef, ga...
Alex Hollywood is a passionate home cook and family food writer with two popular cookery books...
Liz Earle MBE
Liz Earle MBE is known for her passion for wellbeing, natural health and beauty, as well as he...
Raymond Blanc OBE
Born in Besançon, France, in 1949, Raymond Blanc OBE is acknowledged as one of the finest chef...