#BestBritishBakes with Candice Brown
Love British Food along with ambassador and Great British Bake Off winner Candice Brown are on the lookout for 2018’s Best British Bake. Do you fancy yourself as a pro home baker? Or maybe you just enjoy baking up delicious treats for your friends and family. Either way, you could be in with a chance to win £100 of vouchers, courtesy of our official sponsor The Co-op.
All you need to do to enter this great competition is bake up your favourite cake, pasty, pie or baked speciality using British ingredients, snap a picture and share it on Twitter or Instagram by following @LoveBritishFood and using the hashtag #BestBritishBakes telling us what you’ve made and why you love to make it.
There are a huge number of British ingredients in season right now to help inspire you to create somethings extra special. One of the joys of Britain and British food is its multiculturalism so there’s no reason to go traditional with your entries, we’re excited to see what array of delicious bakes you can come up with using tasty British produce.
This great competition will be judged by Love British Food and our ambassador Candice Brown who will be looking for good use of British ingredients, delicious dishes and mouth watering presentation. So, for your chance to get your hands on a great prize and have some fun baking up some delicious treats in the process get entering now.
To inspire you further, check out this delicious recipe for Florentines from Candice Brown herself.
Competition closes on 13th July 2018.
This is another handwritten recipe from my Nan. It was perfect the very first time I made it (that says it all really) and so was she. Feel free to change the fruit and nuts if you want, although why would you when it’s perfect the way she wrote it?
- 60g unsalted butter
- 170g golden caster sugar
- 30g plain flour
- 150ml double cream
- 115g flaked almonds
- 115g whole toasted almonds or pecans, roughly chopped
- 85g flaked coconut
- 85g dried apricots, chopped
- 60g dried cherries
- 200g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan (190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5).
- Melt the butter with the sugar in a saucepan over a low heat. When the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is golden and bubbling, add the flour and
mix until smooth over a low heat. Remove from the heat and slowly add the cream, stirring the whole time until smooth and glossy.
- Add the flaked almonds, chopped almonds or pecans, coconut flakes, apricots and cherries and mix well until everything is combined and covered with
the creamy mixture.
- Line four baking sheets with greaseproof paper. Drop the mixture in heaped teaspoonfuls on to the greaseproof paper, ensuring there is about 2cm between
each heap of mixture.
- Place in the preheated oven near the top and bake for 12–15 minutes (switch the baking sheets around halfway through).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3–4 minutes before transferring to a wire rack – use a flat palette knife to move the florentines. Leave
to cool completely.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth. Coat the flat underside of each florentine with chocolate and allow to set slightly before zigzagging a fork across the chocolate to make a pattern. Then leave, chocolate-side up, to set completely.
Competition terms and conditions
1.The promoter of this competition is Love British Food/British Food Fortnight
2.The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom aged 16 years or over except employees of Love British Food and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with the organisation or judging of the competition.
3.There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4.By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
5.The competition is run on the social media platforms Twitter and Instagram.
6.Multiple entries per person will be accepted but only as separate entries, not of the same recipe.
7.Closing date for entry will be 30/06/18. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
8.No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
9.The rules of the competition and how to enter are as follows: Entrants must bake a dish of their choosing, take a picture of this dish and share it to the social media platforms Twitter and instagram featuring the hashtag #BestBritishBakes
10.The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
11.The prize is as follows: 1 x £100 Co-op voucher
12.Winners will be chosen by Love British Food and ambassador Candice Brown
13.The winner will be notified on Twitter or Instagram within 28 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
14.The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
15.By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
16.The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by [English] law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of [England].
17.Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
18.This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to Love British Food and not to any other party.