Buying British: Why do it?
Choosing British means supporting British farmers whose work helps to keep the British countryside the way we want it to look: no sheep, or cows, or fruit, or vegetables - no countryside! Watch our videos below on why you should Buy British.
- You will be supporting the economy – everyone from the farmer, to those who work in food processing and the retailers selling the food.
- British food travels less far from farm to shop so has a lower carbon footprint than most imported foods.
- Eating British fruits and vegetables in season is good for you. Foods in season contain the nutrients, minerals and trace elements that our bodies
need at particular times of the year.
- British meat is produced to some of the highest welfare standards in the world: no growth-promoting hormones are allowed and any antibiotics are administered
only under veterinary direction.
- Britain's pig farmers operate by UK law to standards of welfare that are some of the highest in the world.
- Britain's beef and sheep industries are the envy of the world; breeding livestock and genetics from our native breeds are much sought after by farmers
in other countries. Protect our great native livestock industry by buying the real thing, not an imported substitute.
- Britain's cattle passport system means that each animal can be uniquely traced to its dam (mother) and place of birth.
- British chicken is reared to some of the highest standards in the world.
Why Buy British Pork
Why Buy British Lamb
Why Buy British Beef
Why Buy British -