Press release: Emsworth British Food Fortnight 2018
Press Release – Emsworth British Food Fortnight 2018
Since its foundation in 2014 the Emsworth British Food Fortnight has not only won National Awards but has become one of the most successful Food events
of its type in the UK celebrating local food, local people and Emsworth itself.
Emsworth will once again be participating in British Food Fortnight, which this year runs from 22nd September to 7th October. The brainchild of Love British
Food, British Food Fortnight is a wonderful opportunity for Emsworth to showcase its food heritage but more than that it’s about the community coming
together to celebrate itself through food. Three words sum up what this fortnight is all about:
Community Education Celebration
There is an amazing programme of events and activities being planned over the fortnight AND this year sees the unveiling of ‘The BIG FEAST Weekend’ on 29th and 30th September. Emsworth businesses will be getting fully involved with tastings, special menus, new product launches
and demonstrations and once again Emsworth is working with local Primary Schools, Colleges of Further Education and supporting the local Beacon Food
Here is just a ‘TASTE” of the many events being organised this year –
- The ‘Great British Menu’ College Lunches - 2 local catering colleges take over the Brookfield Hotel and design, prepare and serve a ‘Great British Menu’
Fareham College- 3rdh OctoberHighbury College – 4th October
- The Great British Seafood Supper – Restaurant 36 on the Quay - Tuesday 26th September
- Hosted by Ian Kellet of Hambledon Vineyard, presenting some of his wines, alongside a 4-course dinner focusing on British Seafood and local produce.
- Taking the Harvest to Primary Schools
- In conjunction with Hampshire Farmers’ Market food education workshops will be hosted at local primary schools for pupils.
- Surplus Supper – Tuppenny Barn – Saturday 6th October
- A collaboration with UK Harvest highlighting food waste and food education. Park Community School will be assisting Chef Steven Cross in the kitchen to prepare.
- ‘A Boost of Kindness’
- Food Bank Collection points will be prominent in Emsworth over the fortnight in aid of The Beacon Food Bank, culminating in the building of a ‘Food Mountain’ on Sunday 8th October
- A Special Community Harvest Festival Service in St. Peter’s Square - Sunday 7th October 11.30am
The Big Feast Weekend
- Emsworth’ Beer and Cider Festival - Friday 28th September to Sunday 30th September – Emsworth Community Centre
- Enjoy up to 30 great British beers, both local and from further afield, combined with some astonishingly good English wines and cider, as well as live entertainment and local food producers.
- Hampshire Farmers’ Market - Saturday 29th September – St.Peters’ Square
- Emsworth - The GRAPE Escape - Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th September
- Organised by the areas 4 local independent wine merchants, this is a wonderful opportunity to taste over 40 wines and spirits. While focusing on award winning English wines, there will also be some fantastic wines from other regions from Rioja to Stellenbosch. However, its not just wine on offer, there will be a range of British Gins and the English Whisky Co will also be there as well.
- A ‘Thought for Food’ Local Showcase Market - Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th September
- Created to enable local food & drink producers from West Sussex and Hampshire to come together and showcase their products here in Emsworth, this outdoor market has proved a big hit with both visitors and producers.There will be live music from curated by Harbour Records, throughout both days, so this market should have something to appeal to just about everyone!
- Emsworth Apple Pressing Day – Sunday 30th September
- A real community event. Local apples grown by residents producing ‘Emsworth Apple Presse 2017’ in the Square. The label for this year will be unveiled on the day, designed by a local primary school pupil
These are just a taster of what’s to come and will be revealed on www.Emsworth.org.uk
“Emsworth epitomises everything that British Food Fortnight, the national food celebration, seeks to achieve in communities across the country: an event that embraces the whole town, is organised by people who know and love its food heritage and who use this annual flurry of food activities to showcase Emsworth’s producers, food shops and restaurants.”
Alexia Robinson, Founder Love British Food and British Food Fortnight
“The Emsworth British Food Fortnight is not just another Food Festival, this is a real celebration embracing community and education and celebrating Emsworth and the local region through its people and its food. It’s no secret that high streets across the UK are facing difficult times and this is a brilliant opportunity to showcase just what can make the High Street such a special place and an important part of any community.”
Giles Babb, Chair, Emsworth Business Assoc.
“We are really excited to be supporting the Emsworth British Food Fortnight again this year. Producing all of our chocolate just a few miles away, the Fortnight is a fantastic forum for us to get as many people to try Montezuma’s as possible and showcase our products to such an interested audience. We will be at the A Thought for Food Market and are really looking forward to the Wine & Chocolate tasting with Alistair Gibson and our chocolate will be found in many puddings served in and around Emsworth during the Fortnight! Helen Pattinson, Co-founder & Director, Montezuma’s Chocolates
“The Brookfield Hotel is once again delighted to be taking part in this year’s Emsworth British Food Fortnight. it has become very much a part of not only the local calendar but also brings visitors from further afield. We are so excited to share in the passion that Emsworth has in promoting our community, to live and work in. This is a real celebration of all the very best of seasonal and local produce as well as all that is great about Emsworth.”
Amanda Thomas, General Manager, The Brookfield Hotel
- A full listing of events will be available on www.emsworth.org.uk
- For more information about British Food Fortnight – www.lovebritishfood.co.uk
Latest Press Releases
- Press Release: Calling Local Communities
- Press Release: Food Service Sector invited to make British the first supplier of choice for British Food Fortnight
- Press Release: Thame Food Festival is supporting even more local charities this year, including the local Foodbank – Sharing Life Trust